Jeffrey Qián 錢 曄 // 778-238-2014 //

Canadian Retail Sales and Inflation

After recording flat sales in October, Canadian retail sales rose 1.7 per cent in November. All retail sub-sectors showed rising sales,  with the notable exception of gasoline stations where falling prices prompted the nominal value of sales to decline. In BC, retail sales were up 1.8 per cent on a monthly basis and 5.4 per cent compared to November 2014. Year-to-date, retail sales in the province are up 6.8 per cent over last year. 

The Consumer Price Index (CPI), which measures the rate of inflation in Canada,  rose 1.6 per cent in the 12 months to December, up 0.2 points from the previous month. After 13 straight declines, the transportation component of the index,  which contains gasoline prices, increased in December. Food prices were also higher, rising 4.1 per cent largely due to impact of the lower exchange rate. The Bank of Canada's core measure of inflation, which excludes volatile components like food and gasoline dipped slightly to 1.9 per cent from 2 per cent in November.  In BC, the provincial CPI was 1.9 per cent higher in the 12-months to December.

No comments

Post Your Comment:

* indicates required fields.
Your Name: *
Please note, your email will not be shown publicly
Your Email (will not be published): *
Comment: *
Please type the text as it appears above:
The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver (REBGV), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the REBGV, the FVREB or the CADREB.